Tuesday, October 24, 2023

One year to go...

24 October 2023: My manuscript is due a year from today. I finished off my entry on gothicism a few minutes ago (three entries this month--with a week to spare) and feel pretty good about hitting my goals for this semester. If I can do the same next semester--and that's a big if--that will leave me nearly six months for the introduction, some of the apparatus, and editing/revision. Those six months include a teaching-, admin-, and possibly advising-free summer, something I haven't had in the entire time I've been at Shepherd. In other words, right now, everything looks good. 

Today has been really hard in a lot of other ways, perhaps evidenced by me still being on campus at 7:30, I was so far behind on my goals because of other work-related concerns, so a little sense of achievement and control over this one thing makes me feel better. But I did want to highlight one more spot of bittersweet happiness. I finally got a picture of Jo printed and put it in a frame at work. This did mean displacing the frame's former subject--I just can't have pictures of cats who are now dead in my office; too many awkward moments with curious students--but I don't think he would mind.

No comments: