Saturday, October 7, 2023

Grading joy...

7 October 2023: Stopping myself mid-grading this morning (when I have so much on my to-do list) because I just have to write about the ENGL 204 student whose exam I just graded. He sits mostly by himself and never says a word, but I just knew he was paying attention and absorbing the material. We will make eye contact sometimes and he doesn't even nod or anything, but I know that, because he won't break that eye contact, that he is sort of telling me that he is intrigued, he agrees, etc. (And yes: I should/will start asking him to participate more--the old, "You look like you agree! Want to say something more?")

Anyway, he just nailed this midterm and it makes me want to cry, I am so happy. It's a rough time on campus, but my goodness, what a gift this young man has given me. Now I need to make sure he knows how great he is at this. 

No comments: