Saturday, October 14, 2023

Fresh cut...

14 October 2023: Got my hair cut this morning, which also meant a chance to catch up with Isabelle, the very nice woman who has been cutting it for years. She was telling me today about when she was a little girl growing up in Peru and just always loved doing hair. She knew it was what she wanted to do. Her dad, who sent his seven kids to private school, wasn't thrilled that that was her dream, but later, when she would visit Peru after immigrating to the US, she would cut his hair. Also, like so many little girls (not me, ha!), she loved experimenting with her own hair--and other peoples'. 

She mentioned something she had told me before--that everyone she knew had "black, black hair," but she wanted to be blonde. She saved up her allowance, bought a bunch of peroxide, and stuck her head in a bucket. It didn't look great and her mom wanted to kill her, of course. 

"But when I was walking to school and saw the sun reflecting off my hair...I was so happy..."

Love when people speak in simple yet profound poetry. 

No comments: