Monday, January 11, 2021

These old boys...

11 January 2021: Wesley really gave me a scare over the past few days, with a couple of days of bad diarrhea (sorry) and some disinterest in food. I called late last week for a vet appointment and they couldn't see me until Tuesday (tomorrow). Between then and now, he has really turned a corner and seems much better--better enough that I canceled the appointment. What a relief. 

But boy, did this put me through the ringer. I know that my time with both of them is absolutely drawing to a close and likely soon. Yesterday morning, when Wes wouldn't eat his breakfast, I figured that was it, that I'd say good-bye to him on Tuesday. It was rough to think about, to cry and cry (like I had on and off each day since Thursday) in anticipation of that loss. Then he ate his dinner last night and has been solid (ha) since then. (As I write this, I hear him eating in the kitchen.) 

I have been thinking about whether one will miss the other when the first one goes. They've been together for over 16 years, after all, though never really best buddies. It's hard to say. They have never been big snugglers with each other (or with Veronica, much to her sadness). Each has always been much more intensely interested in people, especially me, than in each other. But today, I found them pretty close (touching, even!) and sound asleep. By the time I got my camera, they had woken up.

So for now, I still have them both, happy and content even if their days are dwindling. And they have each other (and Veronica, as she would love to remind them). Who knows for how much longer? But gratefully I'll take what we've got now and what you see in this picture. (And yes, Bing's face does have a bit of "WTF?" written on it, indicating that Wesley arrived second and sidled up to him. Trust me: that is almost certainly what happened. Veronica does the same thing to him. Ha.)

No comments: