Monday, January 25, 2021

Three things...

25 January 2021: At a Focus on Student Learning (FOSL) workshop today, one of our fantastic counselors, Wendy, offered tips and strategies for teaching in the time of COVID. I was particularly interested in her ideas for self-care and stress-relief. One of her tips is inspiring my post for today: "Write three things that happened over the course of your day that you are grateful for." 

I tried versions of this as a blog theme in 2014, when I used the theme "Year of Thanks," and in 2016, when I used the theme "One Good Thing." In general, it's an idea I like a lot, and feel like today (a cold and cloudy Monday in the midst of a pandemic) is a good day to give it a try again.

1) I am grateful for the FOSL itself, especially for Wendy, who is such a blessing to our students and to faculty and staff. I was texting a friend earlier today that since I've been at Shepherd, every counselor who has worked here has been an angel on earth.

2) I am grateful for the homemade jam (made by her) and the homemade beer (made by her husband) my friend/colleague Eva gave me today. She's a special person and I am lucky to know her and work with her.

3) I am grateful for this poem, which I just heard my friend and colleague James talk about during an (online) event tonight about 2020's Nobel prize winners.

No comments: