Sunday, January 31, 2021

Finishing March on a snow day...

31 January 2021: Got up a bit early (for a Sunday) and there was already a dusting of snow on the ground. Started my walk by 7:30 and it wasn't bad at all (except for when the snow would blow right in my face). Once again, I sing the praises of Yaktrax.


After I got back, I took a shower, did a bit of cleaning, and it's been reading, TV, and occasional shoveling since then. Not bad.

I finished Geraldine Brooks' March today, which is a beautifully written book that I enjoyed quite a bit. It's a book that you sit with kind of uneasily at times, as Brooks gives us, in March, an earnest and sympathetic protagonist who nonetheless comes across as out-of-touch, too idealistic, and frustrating at times. I was frustrated with the book at times, wondering if Brooks realized this. Then she does something really unexpected (at least to me) and welcome about two hundred pages in that made me get very excited. And the ending made me cry. When you think about it, it's quite a flex to try to riff on Little Women, much less foregrounding a man, but Brooks knows what she's doing. 

By the way, this book sat on a table in my bedroom for at least 10 years. Feels good to have finally read it. 

No comments: