Monday, January 18, 2021

Almost time, but not quite...

18 January 2021: Because Shepherd built an extra week into the break between semesters (at the cost of Spring Break) and because today is a federal holiday, my classes (MWF) are starting about a week and a half later than usual, and starting on a Wednesday. It's strange how I can feel that difference. It feels off. And starting mid-week is also weird. But I am a creature of such habit that I suppose that's not surprising. 

I did manage to get quite a bit done today: finished prepping for all my classes, made the copies, got the attendance cards ready. Washed the chalkboards in the second-floor classrooms, something that makes me feel good and soothes me. Last week, Betty, Brenda, and I rearranged the rooms so that desks are actually six feet apart. (They were not last semester, frustratingly.) The rooms look so different and strange. I cannot wait to get our seminar table formation back. Weird vibes before the semester even starts, especially recognizing that the silence in the building today won't be that different from what it's like when things start up tomorrow. Campus is going to be so quiet. 

When I went for a little walk around town, I saw Carrie coming back from her own stroll, so we visited outside for a bit, which made me happy. 

Then I had to head back to the dentist for a follow-up on this filled tooth that still doesn't feel right. Fortunately, nothing looks wrong and he thinks I just take longer to feel normal after these things. There really isn't much pain so I don't mind waiting it out, especially when he kept saying, "I'm not going anywhere" (in case it gets bad). He gets me. 

Now I am watching an old Super Password re-run (which really soothes me). Then I'll get some fun reading done and settle in for a night of guilty-pleasure-but-I-don't-care TV. Day by day, we get through...

(Sometimes I hesitate to write these diary/log-of-my-day posts. They are kind of boring, I think. But every once in a while, I suppose they are good for capturing a frame of mind, a moment in time.)

No comments: