Thursday, March 18, 2021

Dorothy Allison on Titanic

18 March 2021: "I think of the movie Titanic. All the people who good and really had fun on the ship were working-class people. They all drowned, but they had a good time before they drowned. I remember the good Irish working-class mother who pulled the blanket up to the neck of her child as the water rises up to the kid's ears. I was thinking, 'Oh, God, bitch, don't die and let your kid die! Shoot somebody!'" --Dorothy Allison, talking about how we romanticized working-class lives. 

I am back at work on my Dorothy Allison essay, expanding it to journal-article length. The passage above, which made me laugh and made me nod my head, reminded me of how much I love her voice.

Work Cited

Tokarczyk, Michelle M. Class Definitions: On the Lives and Writings of Maxine Hong Kingston, Sandra Cisneros, and Dorothy Allison. Susquehanna UP, 2008.

No comments: