Tuesday, March 16, 2021

"until about 15 minutes ago, they were us..."

16 March 2021: A little over two years ago I made a decision not to pursue an opportunity to switch (potentially) to a more administrative role. And it felt--and still feels--great. I know it was the right decision for my happiness and the kind of work I want to do. That makes me more grateful for those who do take on this work, especially if it isn't something they do out of a sense of obligation or responsibility. (The only thing that comes close: taking on the Senate presidency, which was more about taking one for the team, but is still--by definition--a faculty position.) 

This lovely piece by Rachel Toor is a good reminder of just who an "administration" often is and how careless our rhetoric towards these folks can be. Definitely worth reading.

I suppose it's also the Middlemarch in me at this moment, but any reminder to gesture and push outside ourselves and really see the people we interact with is welcome these days. 

No comments: