Sunday, March 14, 2021

Snorkels, taxes, and meal deliveries

14 March 2021: Facebook reminded me that two years ago today, I was snorkeling in the Bahamas. In so many ways, that seems much longer ago and almost unimaginably far away. I remember that specific activity was the thing I looked forward to most of all on that trip. And for a bunch of reasons, it didn't live up to what I built it to be in my mind. I can't remember it without that twinge of sadness and disappointment. 

One year ago today, I got my taxes done (I remember the accountant shook my hand and I felt so weird) and got my hair cut. There was this urgency to everything. Get it done and get home and settle in. 

Today has been a quiet day, in some ways. Supermarket run in the morning, double-masked, of course. Hand sanitizer in the car for before and after. Got some grading done on campus. Took a break to get my walk in, delivering meals to our one on-campus quarantined student along the way. (That last clause is such a snapshot of our world right now, isn't it?) Came home and have been mixing chores and relaxing since then. And thinking, of course. Big Thoughts. Sunday, after all, is Big Thoughts day. 

About five more days until this vaccine is at full strength. Whatever March 14, 2022 looks like, assuming I am still around (one never knows), I know that fact will in some way shape it and I have to believe it will be for the better. 

No comments: