Thursday, August 27, 2020

De-densifying...

 27 August 2020: On an ordinary Thursday in an ordinary semester, I almost certainly would have gone into my campus office today, just to get a couple of small things done: some paperwork for a student, printing a draft of a project, maybe even working there to break up the day and re-focus. I particularly felt the impulse to do that last thing when Wesley kept walking all over my desk, demanding my attention. Somehow it seems easier to leave the house than push him or Bing off the desk and out of the room.

But this isn't an ordinary semester. I didn't have any classes to teach, so I stayed home. Trying to do my part to de-densify our campus. Does it actually make a bit of a difference? Probably not, but I am trying. 

Just another reminder of how strange everything is, how far we are from normal. 

So I stayed home, got a decent amount of work done, and had a pretty quiet day. If I was still in what used to be Project Balance, that would be a good thing, I guess. But it feels different under these circumstances. Everything does. 

[While the world seems to be on fire outside of my little house and neighborhood, I know that staying close to home today is a kind of privilege. Feels weird to post about a day spent here without acknowledging how absolutely messed up everything seems to be. I can't stop thinking about it all, particularly what's going on in Wisconsin.]

No comments: