Thursday, January 20, 2022

"Neon Moon"

20 January 2022: "Everyone is just enjoying the song and each other. The big silver disco ball hanging from the middle of the ceiling is sending magic glints over all of them, and Joel feels like they’re part of the night sky. The woman is singing There’s always room here for the lonely over a pedal steel and a synthesizer, and his feet are moving right in time." --Silas House, "Neon Moon"

I've been a fan of that old Brooks and Dunn song for a long time--its yearning, its melancholic beauty. So I knew I had to read Silas House's story. I actually read it last night, but it's been on my mind all day, aided by me listening to the playlist he posted to accompany it. The way he uses the Kacey Musgraves cover is just so smart and subtle: it's the same song, a couple decades later, with a different singer and a different beat. It's like the character of Fox, not a copy of his great-uncle, but a kind of echo that makes the original its own. And that song brings them together on the dance floor. Amazing. 

No comments: