Monday, January 17, 2022

Basketball and Station Eleven

17 January 2022: As I write this, I'm watching the women's basketball game online as they take on Millersville. I've got a lot on my mind, though today is better than yesterday. I slept in a bit, dug out the driveway (which was kind of bear--not a lot of snow, but wet, heavy, and a sheet of thick ice on top), watched some TV, took a walk, did some work. This post is just about the last item on my to-do list for the day. So, not a bad day.

I guess right now I am thinking about the TV I watched--episodes of Station Eleven. I also listened to a bunch of episodes from their official podcast, where they talk about, among other things, making a show about a pandemic during a pandemic. It's a beautiful show and I find it filling my head and my heart.

But back to the basketball game--with a connection to Station Eleven and that podcast. The showrunner, a director, and the other host were talking about the sometimes-tired "aren't we better without this technology?" debate. And the showrunner said, essentially (complete paraphrase), "It's not about the tech. It's about how we use it. And it has helped us through this pandemic so far." On a day that feels better than yesterday even though I've been just as alone, when I am watching my favorite team play in PA while I am sitting in WV, when texts from good friends have raised my spirits, and when the internet just continues to wow me with smart writing, that assertion feels really true and important to me. 

No comments: