Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Lost & Found

25 January 2022: "In the end, this may why certain losses are so shocking: not because they defy reality but because they reveal it..." -Kathryn Schulz, Lost & Found, discussing the Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 as an example of something seemingly huge disappearing. "A Boeing 777 may seem large compared to us," she writes, "but you could comfortably fit 180 billion of them on the bottom of the Indian Ocean."

I started listening to Schulz's book on my walk this morning, feeling a bit of trepidation about taking on a book about loss at this time. But my goodness, I am in love with it at about 90 minutes in. The bit above almost stopped me in my tracks. And while the first section is indeed about loss and looks at it rather unblinkingly, it isn't maudlin or even particularly depressing. It's actually beautiful. 

No comments: