Saturday, April 15, 2023

A Man's Place

15 April 2023: "His greatest satisfaction, possibly even the raison d'etre of his existence, was the fact that I belonged to the world which had scorned him" (88). 

When I heard my colleague speak about Annie Ernaux's work back in February, and asked her for a good place to start, she recommended A Man's Place, saying it gave a good sense of her writing style and her ability to connect the very specific and personal outlines of an individual life to the wider history of mid-century France. (Turns out, she sure isn't wrong.) Anyway, when it was my turn to pick our book club's next book, I chose this one. Tore through it today. What an achievement--a powerful book about families and class.

Work Cited

Ernaux, Annie. A Man's Place. 1983. Seven Stories Press, 2012.

No comments: