Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Someone else's deadlines...

5 April 2023: Found myself regretting some comments I made today about meeting someone else's deadline. I still think the ask was unreasonable, but I suggested it was arbitrary, when it almost certainly wasn't. I shouldn't have assumed that.

I keep thinking how I would feel if someone would have assumed that about a deadline that I imposed--students wondering why a paper was due when it was due, not realizing how precisely these windows of time work. Or one group--the Faculty Senate, perhaps--pushing back and not realizing that I needed to get info to another group. 

I think I did a decent enough job explaining to the folks who need to know that I regretted my comments--and seriously, I am sure no one is thinking about this as much as I am. But I want to kind of focus on it for a bit longer, sit in feeling bad about it for a bit longer (then stop that part), and then remember it so I don't do it again. I think this is right and even healthy. 

No comments: