Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Cheerleading works...

30 November 2022: A student who transferred to Shepherd just this semester and has been taking two classes with me has struggled a bit. She's so insecure about her abilities but has finally come around to asking for help and coming to office hours. I think it's making a difference. And I have been telling her (again and again), "You can do this! You have good ideas!"

Today she gave me a little Christmas gift. Inside was a very nice card that read, in part, "You believed in me better than my own parent." The thing is, I don't think I did that much, so she's probably being too nice. (And it makes me feel bad that she didn't feel supported before.) 

But my goodness: what an absolute privilege is it sometimes to do this work. 

No comments: