Monday, November 28, 2022

"...while you rest"

28 November 2022: I've had the absolute pleasure of having an older student (late 60s/early 70s) audit my Victorian Literature class this semester. He's been wonderful--and insists on doing all the work (which he doesn't have to do.) 

Today, he handed in his critical essay (early, by the way). He said, "A little something to do in your free time," and then laughed. The he added that when he was a boy, he used to work for his uncle. When he would take a break, his uncle would hand him more work to do, saying, "Here's something for you to do while you rest." We laughed some more, even as I thought about how much I do that to myself: "Here's a task you can work on when you are watching TV. Here's the thing I can read when I take my bath before bed." Good joke that also made think a bit. 

No comments: