Monday, November 14, 2022

Walgreen's tonight...

14 November 2022: As I was about to pay for my purchase at Walgreen's this evening, an angry woman came walking over to the register, upset that the pharmacy was closed. In her defense, the hours at this location have changed a lot over the past year, having been cut way back. She was certain they were open until 6:30, but apparently on Monday, they close at 6:00. (The pharmacist actually walked out of the store as she walked in, but she didn't notice.)

"My husband is very, very sick," she said. "He needs these pills." She also did a bit of cursing. It seemed for a moment, that it could get...dramatic. 

I just sort of stepped aside and let her say what she needed to say to the cashier and the other worker on duty. They were both was kind and professional to her, though they couldn't give great advice. The woman on line behind me and I shared some ideas: call the other location that's still open, explain what you need, etc. 

The woman said--more than once--that she wasn't mad at the people at the register. She knew it wasn't their fault. But she was mad and upset and stressed. "He's very, very sick," she said again. And she cursed some more, too. But she thanked everyone and apologized. She was so frazzled and seemed overwhelmed. 

She left saying she would give the Martinsburg location a call. I hope she got what she needed.

After she walked out, I got to pay for my purchase and told the cashier that she and the other worker handled it so well--so kindly. I think some folks might have matched her rhetoric and tone (esp. when she was dropping f-bombs), but they didn't. They were professional, but kind. And whereas I would have, perhaps, in the past, not said a word, especially when she was so heated, I felt better gently trying to help. 

I think I'll remember this for some time--the simple decision everyone made to act with kindness, to not escalate, to try to help. Sure, we maybe do this all the time (I try to?), but it was nice to see it happen in this moment and across the board. 

Will say some prayers for this woman and her husband tonight. 

No comments: