Sunday, October 2, 2022

"We would have every arbitrary barrier thrown down..."

2 October 2022: Finished my entry on Transcendentalism today. I joked to Hannah earlier that it was a bear of an entry--but a little bear that I had neglected. But it's done so that's that. 

It took me awhile, but I figured out how use one of my favorite lines from Margaret Fuller's Woman in the Nineteenth Century: “We would have every arbitrary barrier thrown down. We would have every path laid open to Woman as freely as to Man" (20). There's something timeless about her rhetoric here--which is also kind of depressing because women (and other marginalized folks) keep having to make this demand. 

Work Cited

Fuller, Margaret. Woman in the Nineteenth-Century. Edited by Larry J. Reynolds, W.W. Norton and Company, 1998. 

No comments: