Friday, January 17, 2020

One week down...

17 January 2020: “Mostly demons…” –a student in my ENGL 204 class, when I asked him what he liked to draw. Made me laugh out loud.

So, Week One of the Spring 2020 semester is in the books. Some initial thoughts: my classes are great. They always are, in so many ways, including silly little moments like the one quoted above. It’s such a luxury, gift, and blessing. Hard to imagine what I would do otherwise.

Naturally, I am still getting a sense of the rhythm of the semester. That can take a while. Stayed on campus until 6:30 (11 hours on campus today!) and could have stayed longer. But this isn’t a complaint, I think. In a way, I was glad to have a big old stack of work to do to keep myself (and my mind) occupied. I think my earlier efforts for "balance" are undergoing a shift--more focus on work, but in a different way--and maybe, for now, that's okay.

It’s a quiet evening to kick off what looks to be a quiet long weekend. Some nasty weather (though not too bad?) in the forecast for tomorrow. Making lists and trying to find ways to chase away the shadows. Should be okay…

No comments: