Sunday, January 19, 2020

A bit of light on a Sunday

19 January 2020: Quiet and productive (those are linked, of course) day here so far. Yesterday's ice was more or less gone by sunrise, so I headed to campus to put in a few hours of work. Even took the time to wash the chalkboards in our classroom, something I always find soothing and satisfying.*

Came home, took a break, then headed out for a walk after lunch. Thinking big thoughts and wrestling with some gloominess...

Then, as I passed her house, I was so happy to speak to the neighbor I wrote about in this post. She came across the street to congratulate me on speaking at the hooding ceremony. (Not sure how she heard about it...) We talked for a bit about how hopeful such events are. I told her that's part of what's so great about my jobs: people keep coming and wanting to learn. "It keeps you going when you want to give up," I said. "Well, don't you stop!" she added. As I walked on, I told that she had once again made my day. As I write about so often, sometimes you get just what you need when you need it.

*Our (wonderful) facilities staff doesn't have the time to clean them anymore, so those of us who are willing take it on, using a bucket and brush they've provided. I don't mind since, again, it gives me a little break if I am putting in some serious weekend hours and I find it relaxing.

No comments: