Wednesday, January 22, 2020

On snapping, missing male students, and other laughs...

22 January 2020: I'm having a heck of a fun time teaching my Gender and Women's Studies/Honors Seminar on gender and humor. Here's a sample exchange to illustrate why:

Me: Did the male student who just added [on Friday] disappear?
Student: Did both of the boys disappear?
Other student: Did we scare them away.
[Pause...]
Third student [quietly]: Oops.

Amazing.

Also today in class, on some sort of weird tangent, I was listing things I've never been able to do, including hit a three-pointer, tie my shoes the normal way, snap my fingers, and whistle. I also told them that anytime you tell people that those last two (especially snapping), they immediately begin doing it, as if to make you feel extra inadequate. After class, a student sent me this clip (of Peppa Pig being upset about not being able to whistle) which delighted me.

So yeah...good class!


No comments: