Saturday, January 18, 2020

"Let's have an old-world chat / about the original action items"

18 January 2020: Quiet day here. Took a long walk early to beat the bad weather, but otherwise have been inside, cleaning, doing laundry, getting work done, and thinking, thinking, thinking.

The snow was basically a no-show, but it is pretty icy out there (and let's go ahead and let that "pretty" do double-duty, as the tree branches take on a thin clear covering). So at home I've been and at home I'll stay.

Currently thinking, thinking, thinking about this Matthew Zapruder poem, which I just heard him read on the Poetry Off the Shelf podcast. I get a real kick out of something he talks about in the podcast: that the language of business and corporate culture fascinates him and kind of delights him in poetry. He notes, "I mean, it’s not mocking to me. I adore specific language. The more specific and arcane, sometimes the better." I've always felt this way, too, like, for instance, when I overhear half a phone conversation in an airport.

No comments: