Thursday, June 8, 2023

Eight!

8 June 2023: Quite a year for BabyCat! We lost Wes in December, which broke her heart. Then we welcomed Jo in January, which I think makes Veronica happier than she'll admit. And then we had her recent medical adventure and confinement when she got more scratches, pets, and lap-time with me than she's had in her first 8 years combined. Now we are back to "normal," just in time for her 8th birthday. I got home late today, but stopped at Food Lion to get her (and Jo) some Lil Soups. 

It's a strange thing to love an animal like her so much--who literally keeps you just beyond arm's reach, who never fully trusts you or lets you get close except when she has no choice and then just gives in. 

I thought a lot about it that month we spent, just the two of us, mourning Wes and feeling that absence. That strange December with its patch of bitter cold, its "canceled" NY Christmas. She'd just come in the room and meow at me. "It's just you and me," I would say to her, so grateful to have her. 

And I thought about it all even more when I was so worried about her last month, just beside myself with guilt and so certain of my love for her--just the way she is

Happy 8th birthday, Veronica. Just the way you are. 

No comments: