Sunday, August 8, 2021

Sunday reading...

8 August 2021: "Middlemarch demands that we enter into the perspective of the other struggling, erring humans--and recognize that we, too, will sometimes be struggling, and may sometimes be erring, even when we are at our most arrogant and confident. And this is why every time I go back to the novel I feel that--while I might live in a century without knowing as much as just a handful of its pages suggest--I may hope to be enlarged by each revisiting. Only a child believes a grown-up has stopped growing." --Rebecca Mead, The Road to Middlemarch

Lots of time for eclectic reading today: three issues of Entertainment Weekly, today's Washington Post, a big chunk of Her Body and Other Parties, and another big chunk of The Road to Middlemarch. I think Mead's book is the text that has soothed me most on a kind of anxious day. And what she says above sums up what makes me love the novel, too.  

No comments: