Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween 2020

31 October 2020: Went to the last backyard concert of the season at my former dean's house tonight. It was a lot of fun, combining a fiddler and a great local storyteller. Bittersweet, of course, as the cold weather sets in and we have to retreat indoors for a long COVID winter. The last song the fiddler played, "My Epitaph," struck just the right kind of hopeful note as we also stare down whatever next week brings us. 

"The flowers you give me, please give them today
Don't waste their beauty on cold lifeless clay
One rose with love could do so much good
And I think all would give it if they just understood

Now God gives life freely, then he takes away
What we do for each other oh let us do it today
We have no promise that tomorrow will come
Don't sing my praises after I'm gone"

No comments: