Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Wearing them out...

7 November 2018:

During office hours today, a student dropped in for a quick conversation about her Honors Capstone project. She's also a student in my British literature seminar. And she's graduating this semester. And everyone is exhausted.

Here's how it played out.

[We address the actual issue quickly.]

Student: Okay. Well, thanks! I'll let you get back to work.


Me: [Feeling bad about possibly making her feel rushed.] Oh, you don't have to rush out. It's office hours.

Student: [Literally backing away.] No, it's okay. I need to go home. I'm really tired. 

Me: [Laughing.] Okay!

Student: [Like she needs to escape but also doesn't want to get in trouble.] I've been doing a lot of work for you lately. 

Me: [Feeling both guilty and proud of myself.] I get it. 

A little bit less than two weeks to Thanksgiving Break, people. We can do this.

No comments: