Sunday, September 2, 2018

National Book Festival, 2018

[Catch-up post]

1 September 2018: Some lines that stood out to me at this year's Book Festival:

Tayari Jones:

  • "Who am I now versus who I was seven years ago?" 
  • "What happens when people are forced to make choices they should never have to make?"
  • "How much of yourself do you devote to a relationship and how much do you hold back for your dreams?"


Min Jin Lee:

  • "I had no intention of writing this book.
  • "What is it like to forgive people who hated you?"


Tracy K. Smith:

  • "Poems bring unlikely language to things deep within us."
  • Poets "go to the wrong context to get the right feeling."


Robert Hass:

  • "Poetry is the place where you wake up to yourself."


Celeste Ng:
  • We should be "advocates for empathy."
  • Books "open spaces for ambiguity."
And I got to hang with this great crew again. 

No comments: