Thursday, September 20, 2018

"On Small Talk"

20 September 2018: Almost on cue, I engaged in some hard core (inner) freaking out today over the precise issues I had convinced myself would be okay the day before. In the midst of all that freaking out, little moments of light and peace would find their way through:

  • The distraction of the podcasts I listened to as I mowed the lawn on a rather pretty day. 
  • The kindness of a colleague who took time out of her day to not only have lunch with me to talk about a big project I am working on (the source of a lot of this anxiety), but gave me great advice and insisted on paying. (I was going to treat her, but she beat me to it.) 
  • The panel I attended tonight where WV teachers (including a beloved former student) talked about why they stay in this difficult, amazing, frustrating, wonderful state. What an inspiring group they are.
  • The dinner I had with Amy where she let me get right to the point of tears without making a big deal out of it, basically pretending she didn't notice, which was actually what I needed at that moment. 
  • The phone call with Jane, which always works for what ails me. Even more impressive on her part since she was dealing with some sad news about a friend.
  • The news that Veronica Mars is coming back.
  • And this poem...

No comments: