Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Two incoming majors...

19 July 2023: Spent about an hour today (total) in Zoom meetings with two incoming first-year English majors, tweaking their schedules and talking about their academic and career plans. 

When I scheduled these meetings yesterday, I was wiped out from the special Faculty Senate meeting and just all of the fall-out from what's going on at the university. Lots of anxious, confused, angry, and scared colleagues. So adding meetings to my schedule wasn't ideal--I really need/want to focus on my writing. 

But (and I guess this is predictable by now, an arc familiar in these posts?), I am really glad I had the chance to talk with these two young folks today. They are full of energy, potential, and enthusiasm. They are overwhelmed and even quietly afraid, like one should be when taking on a new challenge--and it feels so good to see that, recognize it, and reassure them. They are engaging and charming and impressive as heck already. 

The conversations reinvigorated me and remind me of something that gets a bit lost in the summer: students are always, always, always the best part of the job.

(Also managed to get everything on my daily list done. Invigorating!) 

No comments: