Sunday, December 5, 2021

We find each other...

5 December 2021: Recently realized that at nearly 18, this sweet boy has lost most of his sight. I think I could see little signs for a while now (not making eye contact, slipping or missing a jump every once in a while, knocking into a toy on the floor while walking), but it all came together in my head over the past few days. 

He's still happy and perfect, though, and knows how to find his favorite places, including right here on my arm. It's where he is right now, having jumped back up on and off throughout the day. 

Some moments, the realization makes me weep a bit, a sign that his days are winding down. Moreover, he used to focus in with such precision on whatever he was watching, like his favorite little toys before I tossed them. And though I know it is silly, it makes me sad that he can't see them or me.

But most of the time, I just grateful that he adjusted to his new reality with me even noticing and that he remains comfortable and happy. And I am profoundly grateful that he's still here with me and we can find each other. What a gift.  



No comments: