Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Wisdom

6 October 2021: "I've learned to be comfortable in my own sadness." --a student in my ENGL 307 class today, as we began our discussion of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and talked about its narrator. My student was talking about something he can now do that Ari hasn't quite figured out yet. 

This was such a moment of understated profundity from this young man and I found it so moving, mature, and real. This generation can talk about emotions--pain, love, sorrow, joy--in ways that I still struggle to articulate for myself. It's such a virtue. 

Again and again, these students teach me things, make me feel things, make me so blessed to be called their teacher. And I know, I know, I know: its sounds like a cheesy cliche, but it's just true. 

No comments: