Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Reunion at the dentist...

27 May 2020: When I had my last dental cleaning in November, I scheduled my next appointment. The hygienist, who I adore, told me that my buddy Carrie had just been in the day before. Since Carrie's husband usually has to drive her (she doesn't drive), we decided to schedule our next cleanings on the same day, one right after the other. "You can make an afternoon of it--go get lunch! Have fun!" the hygienist (Alisa) said.

Fast forward to today and a whole new world in so many ways. Got to the dentist and saw James waiting in the car in the parking lot. Following the new procedures in place, I called the office to let them know I was there. Alisa came out, took my temperature, and asked some screening questions. We went in and, for the most part, it was a normal cleaning. (There are a couple of tools she can't use anymore because of CDC guidelines.)

In some ways, it all felt kind of normal. I love Alisa and the dentist and it was good to see them and talk with them both, even with layers of protective gear. And Alisa made sure I got to talk to Carrie in person, as she was leaving and I was mid-cleaning. I kind of looked at her upside down and saw her face in person (not counting Zoom) for the first time since March 13. Weird and strange and sad and wonderful.

No comments: