Friday, March 27, 2020

Party of One

27 March 2020: I don't think I've blogged about Dave Holmes's great book Party of One yet, but I've been re-reading parts of it for my GWST/HNRS class (he's on the schedule for late next week/early the week after). And let me say: it's a great book. Funny, sweet, honest, and quietly important. This read-through, I found myself really struck by his metaphors and analogies. As you might imagine, these are most poignant when he writes about being a closeted kid in the 80s and 90s. Check this out: “To be a young gay kid is to work around the clock” (31). He adds, “And the work never ends…You work and you never stop working and you never tell anyone, even yourself, that you’re working” (31-32). That's some good (sad) stuff. 

It will be interesting to see what today's college kids think of the chapters about being a gay college student in the early 90s...

No comments: