Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Bittersweet...

11 March 2020: As I know I’ve written about for years and years, I don’t like interruptions in my routine. And I absolutely hate extended periods of time when I can’t see my students and be in the classroom (not counting regular breaks). So the news about us potentially moving instruction online, while not unexpected and almost certainly for the best, makes me anxious and sad.

Today I got to experience so many parts of my job that I love. Four classes full of great discussions with my students talking about exciting material and their projects. A practice session for our students who are (fingers crossed?) going to the Sigma Tau Delta convention in late March. Those presentations floored me; these five gifted and creative young women make us so proud. Finally, I was off to a fundraiser for a Shepherd student dealing a cancer diagnosis: “Are Your Smarter Than a Fifth Grader” where faculty (including yours truly) played the game against each other, not actual fifth graders. It was an absolute blast.

So yeah: I love my job so much. That’s nothing new. It’s one of the best parts of my life. It is lovely to be reminded of that—and bittersweet to think about an extended absence from it. 

No comments: