Monday, March 2, 2020

"Dear Dealer"

2 March 2020: "But unfortunately, she also had you. And here's the thing, my man. I need you too. I know that. I know what I'm doing here. Because of you, I get to say, 'If it weren't for that guy.; Because of you, I don't have to blame her. Because of you, I can nod my head when people tell me there's nothing I could have done. But I don't know if that's true." --Nadia Bowers, speaking to the drug dealer who sold her sister the drugs that killed her, in this segment on This American Life.

I remembered listening to this when it first aired a few years ago. Normally I don't re-listen to This American Life episodes, but after a night of stress-filled dreams, I put this one on this morning, before realizing it was a repeat. And then I left it on, listening to it as I got ready, headed to school, and started my day. It was a strange way to start a week off, but it just felt necessary.

I have been thinking about my brother a lot these days. Not for extended periods of time, but with an increased frequency. And lately it's been the sad stuff: his addiction, his struggles, and his death. I am not sure why--and thinking about this is not a bad thing necessarily. But the pain Bowers moves through here is so real and true for me.

No comments: