Wednesday, February 12, 2020

"Uppity"

12 February 2020: “But it turns out for me that carrying on isn’t enough. Holding my head high and rising above doesn’t make me feel strong or fierce. It makes me feel stifled. Almost as if I am choking on a tiny injustice and that one of these days, the right injustice is going to lodge itself in my throat and take my voice and my very last breath. Therefore, the only reliable protection for me is to speak up. On that day with that White Director, I made the choice to never again be quiet, to never again suck it up. I challenged him. And I will do it again. If that make me uppity, so be it. At least people know I’m no longer a vessel they can use to act out their racist feelings. They will know that I think I’m worth fighting for. They will know that I have a fire burning inside me. They will know that I’m alive.” --Phoebe Robinson, in the hit-it-out-of-the-park ending to her chapter called "Uppity" in You Can't Touch My Hair

Having so much (smart) fun teaching this book this semester...

No comments: