Wednesday, February 26, 2020

"Fraktur"

26 February 2020: So many options for today's post, including:

  • The way my students collectively tensed up as we watched the closing 20 minutes of Nanette in the GWST/HNRS seminar today, a testimony to the power of Gadsby's performance. I sat behind them all as they watched and the tension was palpable.  
  • The fun and complicated discussion I had with my YA Lit class over the sentimentality (I actually called it "cheesiness") of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.
  • The amount of stress/anxiety/energy I felt this morning that spurred me to take a spontaneous lap around the block at 8:30 a.m.--and how lovely it felt with the cool morning mist falling on my face.
  • The never-ending flood of emails that makes me want to burst back outside again.
  • The practice session we had for the six students who are presenting their work this weekend at the WV Undergraduate Literary Symposium. (They are so good, so smart, and so energizing...)
  • The fact that I've been on campus since 7:00 a.m. and it's 6:18 as I type this and there is still so much to do.
  • The sore throat that is in its very early stages and that I am trying my best to ignore. (Colleagues and students are dropping like flies and these stacks of midterms can't grade themselves.)

But instead, I think I'll just link to this episode of 99% Invisible, which I started listening to early this morning. It so good. Come for the font discussion, stay for the references to Martin Luther, and crazy proposed recommendations for federal architectural guidelines.

No comments: