Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Three Billboards

3 January 2018: Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri is a superbly acted film. I am glad that I saw it and I think I would even recommend it to people. But I found it infuriating. Dixon, played by Sam Rockwell, is a monstrous character whose “redemption arc” is simply unearned. His rehabilitation perhaps even sends a dangerous message.  Maybe calling it a “redemption” or “rehabilitation” is an overstatement/misrepresentation of Martin McDonagh’s (the writer/director) intention/purpose. But it is, I think, indisputable that McDonagh’s film asks us to equate his character’s actions and rage to Mildred’s and that is, to me, just a false equivalence. And I can’t even get started on the film’s treatment of policing and race. By the film’s end, my jaw was tight with tension. Ugh.

I do wonder how my experience would have been different if I hadn’t just finished The Sunflower and didn’t have questions of forgiveness and redemption on my mind…

No comments: