Friday, January 26, 2018

The Shape of Water

26 January 2018: "But when I think of her - of Elisa - the only thing that comes to mind is a poem, whispered by someone in love, hundreds of years ago: 'Unable to perceive the shape of You, I find You all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with Your love, It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere.'" --Giles, The Shape of Water

The lovely bit of dialogue quoted above made me smile and even swoon a bit. That is how it can feel to be in love, isn't it?

It's been a long week, very good in some ways, but very tough in others. Bad news flooding in from all over...and feeling like there isn't anything I can do about it. The work day ended with a difficult decision (forgive my vague description) at the end of a long day. Walking to my car and then on the brief drive home, I found myself playing upbeat music to lift my spirits. (Thanks, ABBA!) But even blasting and singing along to "Waterloo" probably wouldn't have been enough. It worked out quite well, then, that I finally had the chance to see The Shape of Water tonight. What a beautiful film. Enchanting (though also hard to watch in places) and packed with terrific performances.

No comments: