Monday, January 8, 2018

Spring 2018: Go! Now stop!

8 January 2018: Odd day today, thanks to the weather. I was already feeling strange about this semester (for a number of reasons...maybe I will write about them at some point) and really weirdly not particularly excited for the first day. I told a friend I have never felt less excited for a first day. Now relatively speaking, that doesn't mean I was dreading it or anything...I just wasn't really looking forward to it.

But the first class started at 9:10 and it went great. Awesome students (so far?). Great conversation as we discussed the syllabus and Chopin's "The Story of an Hour." So that got me jazzed. That old magic, you know? I always feel better in a classroom.

The class gets out at 10:00 and a colleague tells me that the campus is closing at 11:00 because of the incoming ice/snow. Probably the right decision, but man, did it throw things off...logistically and emotionally, too. That "let's go!" energy? Stopped in its tracks.

So it's been an odd afternoon/evening, home alone by 11:30 on a Monday with lots of time to think.

I did just take a long walk in my neighborhood, which, like the classroom, always helps. (So do Yak Trax; forever grateful to Jane for introducing me to these!) Anyway, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: