Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The highs and lows of teaching...

The low: This morning, in my 9:35 ENGL 102 class, I aked a simple question: "How many of you remembered to bring two copies of the workshop sheet? You know, the workshop sheet? The one I emailed you as an attachment, along with specific instructions that said you needed to bring two copies today? The one I also posted on Sakai and on the class web page? The one it says you to bring two copies of on your syllabus?"

How many of my dear angels remembered? Of the nineteen who were there this morning, a grand total of eight had them. Four didn't even have drafts of their papers.

I was so mad. (And that's an understatement.) "Completely unacceptable!" I barked at them. I don't yell at my students a lot--I don't often have the need to. But when I do, they notice. And I did more than just yell--they'll be losing major points on their essays.

If I could have, I would have thrown the offenders out of the window one at a time. As it is, I am already dreading this weekend, as I make my way through their essays, many of which are sure to be crap.

The high: After I met with my afternoon section of ENGL 102, I was in a better mood. They all had their papers and only (!) five of them had forgotten the sheets. (Can you believe five out of twenty-five forgetting something--a full 20%--is a number that makes me feel better?)

Then, on my way back down to my office, I ran into one of my favorite students. She's in my ENGL 312 class this semester and had missed class the day before. "I was so upset about missing it!" she explained. "I love Nature!" (the Emerson text we discussed that day). "I was wickedly enjoying Emerson all weekend! Seriously--I am going to stop by your office just to talk about how awesome it is."

"Wickedly enjoying Emerson!" I love that.

6 comments:

Someday PhD said...

No one ever 'wickedly enjoys' The American Scholar. Maybe I'm teaching the wrong Emerson. Or, maybe you should come teach it for me.

Shannon said...

I am glad that you had a pick me up to your day... and that the pick me up didn't involving picking up any of your students (especially vertically challenged ones, as we all know that is a big no no) and throwing them out the window!

AMT said...

Sorry the morning sucked, but I'm glad the afternoon rocked!

I'm glad I'm not in college anymore.

jackie said...

I found the Valentine for you: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20555757. It has nothing to do with your sucky students, but saw this & thought of you.

Heidi said...

Someday PhD: I taught "The American Scholar" today--but to a classroom of English majors and minors. That makes a HUGE difference. It's a lot easier with them. Several of them "wickedly enjoyed" it...or at least I like to think that they did.

Shannon--it's always good to remember not to throw your students, especially the vertically challenged ones. UNCG trained me very well in that regard--no picking up your students! (Remember that part of TA training, Jackie?)

Amber: you don't really mean that about college, do you? Or at least, you don't mean that with *my* classes in mind, do you? Ha!

Jackie: that is the coolest Valentine ever. That's an expression of true love if ever there was one.

AMT said...

No, I am sure it is awesome to be in one of your classes! I was just thinking about tests and papers and research on things I don't care about and all that jazz and how I am glad that I don't have to do it anymore. But, I would love to be in one of your classes! Maybe I'll just have to come and sit in on one someday! (Is your class baby friendly?)