Friday, September 13, 2024

Speak No Evil

13 September 2024: Seeing the trailer for the American version of Speak No Evil virtually every time I've been to the movies this summer got me interested enough in the original to check it out on Wednesday night. Actually, the other thing that made me interested in it was seeing pop-culture critics who I respect basically describing it as very good, but something you won't ever want to watch again. 

Turns out, that description was spot-on. What a bleak, dark, and powerful movie!

As for the 2024 Americanized version, which I saw tonight? Well, I feel like I could write paper upon paper about putting them in dialogue with each other. So strange to see the same beats--and the same dialogue in places--play out but also feel like the films are apples and oranges. 2024's film is fun and exciting and funny. It's enjoyable in a way the original isn't. But that first one? Much more powerful. 

No comments: