Thursday, August 8, 2024

Finally! A Show

8 August 2024: Found a new podcast to check out, courtesy of This is Love, which featured an episode of Finally! A Show on their feed. The premise: a woman narrates her day from start to finish. This particular episode follows a crematorium worker at New York's Green-Wood Cemetery. There's so much to love in this piece: a very engaging and endearing narrator, her charming colleagues who show up over the course of her day, their terrific New York accents, and really moving and profound observations about death, life, mourning, and remembering those who have died. 

This bit, from the narrator, Gabrielle, made me stop in my tracks*: "It is an honor and a privilege to bear witness to a witness."

*I think I use this phrase a lot when talking about great podcast moments, but most of the time, I mean it literally. I am listening while walking or doing something at least sort of active and I stop and take note of the time-stamp, in case I want to write about it later or send it someone's way. 

No comments: