Saturday, May 27, 2023

The Last Enchantments

27 May 2023: 

"It didn't seem like life. It seems very bright, lots of sunlight, in my memory....It may be an unfair trick to describe this time in so few words, but it passed that way, wordlessly somehow, such that even now I annex it to the least intelligible and least articulate part of myself" (Finch 291).

A bit too much in my own head today, feeling quietly overwhelmed about work that needs to be done and anxious over Veronica's healing. And thinking Big Thoughts. 

Since I spent over half the day working up on campus, I felt okay taking some time finish the book for tomorrow's book club Zoom. Maybe that wasn't a great decision, though, as the book, The Last Enchantments, has me thinking about earlier days and years. Things are often just so quiet and solitary now. Sometimes that's lovely and fine. And sometimes it's not. 

But that's okay. As I type this, little Jo is sitting by the window, each day in her life seemingly the best day she's ever known. That's not bad energy to have around.

Work Cited

Finch, Charles. The Last Enchantments. St. Martins, 2014.   

No comments: