Sunday, February 26, 2023

"full of boredom..."

26 February 2023: "Herland, as a piece of utopian fiction, sits neatly at the intersection of these two insights, framed as an ethnographic account which despite its interesting premise is full of boredom for its protagonists as well as for (some of) its readers" (Awkward-Rich 339).

This passage made me laugh; I am one of those readers who found Herland pretty boring, even as I acknowledge its importance. Awkward-Rich (what a name!) does make a cool argument here--that boredom is part of the point--but I appreciated also feeling seen in my boredom.

Speaking of boredom, someone seems to be feeling better today, though not thoroughly entertained by me typing notes...


Work Cited

Awkward-Rich, Cameron. “The Fiction of Ethnography in Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s Herland.” Science Fiction Studies, vol. 43, no. 2 [129], July 2016, pp. 331–50. EBSCOhost.


No comments: