Thursday, February 24, 2022

Not writing as finishing...

24 February 2022: A bit of a strange day today. Slept in a couple of hours because I didn't have any appointments on campus (and felt guilty about that...you know, healthy stuff!) and felt so cozy laying there with Wes. It was cold and rainy all day, which didn't help much with my mood, when I finally did get out there. Somewhat predictably, getting a decent amount of work done did help.

Happy to have completed a draft of the Little Women entry. I had outlined an entire section that I ended up dropping. Tomorrow's task will be re-reading the entry to do more revising and see if I can work some pieces of that section in elsewhere. But once I started thinking about cutting it out, it actually felt right--like what I had was enough, considering the general scope of the book (mine, not Alcott's). It is pretty cool to think about how finishing can be about what you don't write as much as it's about what you do write. I love those moments, too, when you sense that you are coming around the bend in a writing project.  

Also started research on another entry, took a good walk (of course), and got some odds and ends taken care of. The day ended with a dinner with some work folks and the dean of a university in Scotland where we have a study aboard agreement. Speaking of what you don't write, I almost feel like this paragraph and the first don't belong in this post since I like for the blog to be less about a "here's a list of what happened today" and more about one specific idea or linked set of ideas/observations. But I am going to leave them both in because it's kind of meta. 

Vibes are still off, as the kids might say, but maybe everything will be a bit better tomorrow. 

No comments: