Monday, April 19, 2021

Sorrow and Bliss

19 April 2021: It's hard to put into words exactly why, but I didn't sleep well last night, feeling tense and anxious. That put me in not the best mood all day. And it was a long day, complete with a 2.5+ hour Faculty Senate meeting.

When I got home, it was still lovely out, so I took my book, Meg Mason's Sorrow and Bliss, outside onto the back deck and finished the last few pages. Just that 30 minutes of pausing and doing something fun did helped me relax. Not quite sorrow and not quite bliss, but a good way to segue from "ugh" to "that's better."

The book itself really grabbed me. It's a funny and moving story of a woman's experience with mental illness, family, love, and moving forward when you've made mistakes. I found the narrator's voice particularly powerful. I was also struck by how compassionate the book was, surprising me with those turns. 

No comments: