Tuesday, April 6, 2021

"A photograph"

6 April 2021: Came across this James Schuyler poem in José Esteban Muñoz's Cruising Utopia today and really found myself moved and charmed by it.

“A photograph”

Shows you in a London 
room; books, a painting,
your smile, a silky
tie, a suit. And more. 
It looks so like you 
and I see it every day 
(here, on my desk) 
which I don’t you. Last 
Friday was grand. 
We went out, we came 
back, we went wild. You 
slept. Me too. The pup 
woke you and you dressed 
and walked him. When 
you left, I was sleeping. 
When I woke there was 
just time to make the 
train to a country dinner
and talk about ecstasy. 
Which I think comes in 
two sorts: that which you 
Know “Now I am ecstatic” 
Like my strange scream 
last Friday night. And 
another kind, that you 
know only in retrospect: 
“Why, that joy I felt 
and didn’t think about 
when his feet were in 
my lap, or when I looked 
down and saw his slanty
eyes shut, that too was 
ecstasy. Nor is there 
necessarily a downer from 
it.” Do I believe in 
the perfectibility of 
man? Strangely enough, 
(I’ve known un-
happiness enough) I 
do. I mean it. 
I really do believe 
future generations can 
live without the in-
tervals of anxious 
fear we know between our 
bouts and strolls of 
ecstasy. The struck ball 
finds the pocket. You 
smile some years back
 in London, I have 
known ecstasy and calm: 
haven’t you too? Let’s 
try to understand, my 
handsome friend who 
wears his nose awry.

No comments: